Sunday 16 September 2012

Another Day in Delhi

I will start off by appologizing for getting so behind on my blogging. It was my intention to write a bit each day, but I think that was a bit to ambitious! Especially on the trek I was just a bit to tired to form competent sentences and organize photos!!! Upon arriving back "home" in Delhi I discovered that there were issues posting photos to this blog with the iPad interface. I will post some photos soon. Because of this I have posted a few pics on Facebook for now.

I will try to post more about the trek at a later time, but for now I will just fill you all in on what I have been up to since I have returned to Delhi.

I parted ways with the trekking group when Meera from the BnB came to pick me up from the hotel. She took me to get some medicine for the nasty cough I still have from being at altitude (I think!). I was able to relax and organize my things for a while before there was a knock on my door. Meera was there and told me that some other guests (a couple from Spain) had just returned from a journey to Rajasatan and had been fleeced in the markets. She told me that she was taking them shopping so they could get some good bargains and invited me to come along. In less that two hours I spent less that $30 Cad and had filled half the bag to send home! But the best part was meeting Sonia and Francesico they are a Spanish couple from Madrid who are presently living in London. Francesico is in the banking industry hence the move to London due to the economic situation in Spain.

The next day (which is yesterday for me now) they invited me to spend their last day in India with them. We set off after breakfast to see the Red Fort in old Delhi. This was a rather anticlimactic experience. It was good to have seen it, but I was surprised at the lack of care put into maintaining this world heritage site. From there we went to the markets of old Delhi. We hopped onto a cycle rickshaw. Yes, one very small Indian man peddled three big westerners around for two hours! And got paid less than $10 Cad! Geesh...

Old Delhi is absolute craziness. So many people, so many shops crammed into tiny spaces. The rickshaw driver brought us to the spice market area. He led us into a building where we made out way to the roof, but no before stepping over various people sleeping in the corridors. On the roof we had a view of old Delhi from above. We could see the masses of filth, people, rickshaws, and vehicles below. We could also see homes from up here too. Once we had seen enough, we came back down to street level, bought some spices and headed away.

We attempted to see a Mosque but Sonia was wearing shorts so no dice!

We then made our way to Raj Ghat. This is the place where Ghandi was cremated on the ghats of theYumana River. This was a beautiful monument, very simple and clean. Many Indians were here paying their respects.

Out next stop was over the other side of the river to Akshar Dham Temple. I think this was the most beautiful temple or religious building I have ever seen in my life. Sadly, there is no cameras allowed here I have no snaps to show you!

We then made a pit stop to find some food before heading back home.

It was a long, hot, and sticky day but such a pleasure to share it with Sonia and Francesico.

Today I am getting ready to head out for the day with a lady around my age from Australia. We will do some shopping to top off my bag which I will send home today and then go see some more sights!

No comments:

Post a Comment